Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Losses, Garbage and Scrappers

The following is a slide show of some of the loss my parents endured. The pictures are not in any order. Some of the pictures with the two washers, dryer, stove, full size refrigerator, TV, small refrigerator etc. were taken before the scavengers/scrappers came by, some pictures were after we lost the dumpster that was in the front yard.



The Console Stereo & Grandma's Cedar Hope Chest

For us grown-up kids and for my 18 year old son and 19 year-old niece, the console stereo was in our family our entire lives. Grandma's cedar hope chest, was also a sad loss.

Holiday Decorations

My first thought when my father said the basement was flooded was my mother's Holiday Decorations. There were so many boxes in the basement, all neatly organized, packed nicely in bins. My father just had surgery and each bin was packed. He said that was the worst thing of the whole thing, to see the things my mother collected for over 60 years floating out of the bins, or the bins upside down floating in the basement. Many things were completely ruined and contaminated and thrown out immediately because of the waste on it.

Tuesday - September 16, 2008 -
Basement - Water is receding, bins and possessions floating in the stairwell.




I will eventually put whatever pictures I have of the decorations online, but right now, it's a bit too hard.

Everyone knows how to find my parents home by the decorations. Even when my parent's lived in Calumet City, they were known because of the decorations on the window.

My mom decorated both bathrooms, the living room, family room, dining room, the outside windows, kitchen, pretty much every room for every single holiday.

In January there is the snowmen, snowflakes, from towels to knick-knacks, window stickers, rugs, blankets, dolls, she did the same for Valentines, St. Patrick's Day, Memorial/Fourth of July/Veteran's Day, Easter, she had the Smiley Face Holiday (for when no big holiday's were around, there was Apple/ABC/123's for Back to School, then Leaves, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas then back to Snowmen in January. I know many people decorate but this was more than just decorating to my mom, this was her hobby, this is what she lived for, holiday's and decorating.

The loss of these items, and the personal items like my mom's graduation certificate, and personal documents were very hard on the family.

Scrappers came by and asked to take certain things, like washers, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, etc. and stated they were donating part of the proceeds to Red Cross. I pray they do just that. I do understand that this is their living, and these items were no good to any of us any longer. There were cases of people coming up onto the lawn and into driveways and yards to take things, that the owners were hoping to salvage.

NIPSCO, the Town of Munster, Police, Fire Department, homeowners and legitimate garbage companies needed to get down the street to drop off and pick up dumpster. Most streets were so packed, and I think the gawkers and the scrappers really should have backed off a bit, and been a bit more courteous of those dealing with their losses.

No comments: